Crete. 1945-06-17. St. George’s church on Hill C, above the town of Perivolia. Occupied first by German paratroops in 1941 05, it was taken 1941-05-23 by the 2/11 Battlion. Note signs of damage in the churchyard wall as well as on the church walls. [ORIGINAL CAPTION]
St. George’s church in May 2008. Bullet holes can still be seen all over the stone parts of the church, but not in the walls that were plastered at the end of 20th century. Although the landscape around the building has changed dramatically the particular scene is identical.
Australian War Memorial | ID number: 131071